When teaching new skills to your cheerleaders, here are some tips to keep in mind to help them absorb the curriculum easier to learn faster:
- Make it FUN and SMILE – it so SO MUCH easier to pay attention to someone who is having fun and friendly. 🙂
- Be Prepared!!!!! If you start teaching and don’t know what comes next, you will lose the respect and attention of your team.
- Put your team in a formation and not just standing anywhere – structure is a great thing!
- SHOW what you are teaching FIRST to give the team an idea of what you expect. Obviously you can not show the stunts but you can do the motions.
- When teaching, there is a formula that works great: Teach feet / legs first, arms next and then add the head motions.
- Teach SLOW and LOUD!
- Repeat Often! Remember, repetition is the mother of skill 🙂
- ALWAYS cue the upcoming movements BEFORE they come up.
- GIVE COMPLIMENTS as you go and reinforce the positive commitment that your team is trying and learning.