Are you ready for some great tips to help your team be successful? Here are some of the Top Habits of Successful Coaches that you can use today to help your team improve:
- Make your Team RULES Very Clear at the beginning of your season and always have them posted where your athletes can easily access them; like a team website, team chat, etc.
- Stick to your team rules, no matter what. If you make exceptions or show favoritism, you are in jeopardy of losing the control over your team. This will train your parents and cheerleaders, on what you expect and how you will react to various situations. For example, in your rules, you should detail what the consequences are if you miss a practice, you are late to a practice or you miss your grades.
- Plan out your season calendar in advance, as best you can, so your athletes and parents can plan their schedules; also they can not make excuses about missing a practice or activity with the excuse that the did not know.
- Set Clear Team and Individual Goals with your team and remind your athletes of their goals throughout the season, so they all know what they are working toward collectively and individually. ( To remind your team of their goals, post them on your team website. )
- At the beginning of each practice, set a practice goal and give the details to your team.
- Treat ALL of your athletes the SAME and try not to show favorites.
- During your practice time, for example from 2 to 4, make sure that time is ONLY about your team and working on your goals. Try not to let gossip or non-cheer related activities take up your practice time.
- Start ON TIME and end on time, ALWAYS!
- Be Prepared! Always plan your practices including your practice goal, skills and time allotment for each activity before practice starts.
- Be a Great Role Model for your cheerleaders. Remember, be the example you want them to follow.
For more Top Habits of Successful Coaches: